To Our Valued Customers,
As you are all aware, the information and status of the coronavirus is changing rapidly. As your local trusted foodservice distributor, we wanted to assure you that we are taking all recommended and necessary precautions to ensure our workforce, our distribution facility, and the food we are delivering to you on a daily basis is as safe as possible.
We have a responsibility to you our customers, our employees, and the community at large to take this very seriously.
The Coronavirus is currently spread from person to person. This is done by air (coughing or sneezing), close personal contact (such as touching or shaking hands), touching an object or surface with the virus on it followed by touching your own mouth/nose/eyes, and in rare cases contact with human feces. Symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Complications can include pneumonia in both lungs. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports symptoms of Coronavirus can appear anywhere from 2 to 14 days after exposure. If you notice any of these symptoms, please contact your physician immediately. There are currently no medications specifically approved for coronavirus.
CDC Recommendations: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) always recommends the following preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm to hot water, vigorously scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer of at least 60% alcohol content to sanitize your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact and try to keep a distance of 6 feet from people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a covered trash can.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Kuna values the health and safety of all our staff, their families as well as our vendors and customers. With that in mind, we are doing the following:
- Our warehouse is regularly audited by a third party agency and has continually received superior ratings for food safety, sanitation, operation methods, & HACCP best practices. We will continue to operate at this level- plus an additional level of precautions – to ensure that our food handling and sanitation methods are exceeding expectations.
- We have a virus panel that is meeting daily to discuss new developments and ensure a culture of cleanliness.
- We have required all of our staff to attend mandatory trainings educating them on the right practices to prevent the transmission of flu.
- Sanitizing lunchrooms and meeting rooms twice a day.
- Sanitizing surfaces and objects that are touched often, such as bathrooms, desks, countertops, doorknobs, computer keyboards, faucet handles, and phones.
- Ensuring that our buildings are properly equipped with disinfectants and supplies needed to clean all surfaces.
- Changing all our air filters in our ventilation system and increasing the frequency of changes for this flu season
- Sanitizing our trucks and equipment.
- We are directing our drivers to wear gloves and not to share pens with customers.
- Kuna has put an action plan in place should we be directly affected by the Covid – 19 virus.
- No outside personal or drivers allowed in the building – only the team needed to operate.
- Temperature Scanning
Your Business Impact & Steps You Can Take
While we hope this situation does not continue to escalate, we understand that this situation can be nerve-wracking. We want to do everything we can to partner with you as we weather this storm together.
Please see the below links for helpful safety tips to help navigate and prepare your business for the days ahead.
National Restaurant Association – Coronavirus Information and Resources
CDC – Coronavirus Information
World Health Organization – Getting Your Workplace Ready for COVID-19
ServSafe Fact Sheet
Please be assured that we are doing everything we can to maintain a safe and healthy workplace. Our priority is the well-being of our team, you and your businesses, and our local communities.
Thank you for placing your trust in us and for your continued partnership.
Dan Bippen & the Kuna Team